Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Handbags

Following on from the success of my dress, I made two handbags last week. I have loads of fabric in the loft and it was fun to choose which ones to put together.
The first one features my lovely button from Penny and Toby and it goes really nicely with this floral fabric. It also matches the brown of the checked lining fabric. The bag has an inside pocket and a loop to fasten it with.



I got the pattern and instructions from this nice lady's blog. Look at her tutorials on the top left. It was quite hard to follow because I was sewing in the living room and then coming back into the office every five minutes to check the computer to see if I was doing it correctly! It took me about a day and a half to make which sounds a bit too long when you look at the finished article. My first attempt though, so I'll forgive myself!

I got cocky
with the next bag because it was my second go. I didn't need to look at the pattern as much because I knew what I was doing (or so I thought!!) Silly me. I made a couple of minor mistakes which I won't point out. That will teach me. Anyway, I'm still pleased with it. The bag is black corduroy with a silky, shiny, slippy, navy-blue lining (a nightmare to work with but it looks nice) and I've made a pocket too. The button is from Duttons for Buttons in York which is an amazing shop selling gorgeous buttons of many different sizes and shapes. This is quite a simple button but it's nice and shiny and contrasts well with the texture of the corduroy.




4 comments:

natural attrill said...

Glad you found a good use for the button, it looks great on that bag, you are clever to make them.

Will you be selling your creations? start an Etsy shop maybe?

Duttons for Buttons!! we were told of them by a Miliner who commissions Toby to make jewellery for her hat shop, she suggested looking for buttons there, we've not been yet though.

Penny.

Monkee Maker said...

Really nice bags, I love tiny happy's pattern and have made one myself. My sister has just made two too (and I like hers better than mine - isn't that always the way?!)

I'm thinking about trying a bigger tote-style one but when I think about getting my machine out it makes me feel a little bit ill. (I prefer knitting!)

And sorry, (that this answer has taken so long too) but currently I don't sell my monkeys, but the pattern is on my blog if you fancy giving one a go!

natural attrill said...

WOW!!!
They're amazing, I'm experimenting with plush toys at the moment, Miss esther square will be on the blog soon ( she is experiment 1!! )
Toby.

Deb said...

wow! two handbags! they look really good. i wonder what you will make next? dx