Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Feeling stuck

Over the last few weeks or so I've been going through a bit of a mopey period. There's nothing like having no work to knock your confidence and make you start to doubt your work. I'm on the up again now and am coming up with some children's cards ideas to send to publishers. The trouble is I can't quite decide which direction to go in. Looking through all the different card designs in the shops made me feel more confused as there are so many styles of card that I couldn't work out the do's and don't's of designing a card. So I decided to just do what I wanted and hopefully a publisher will like what I've done.
I've done two versions of the same card and am unsure as to which version I should stick with. The first style is a more commercial, bright (garish?) approach. After looking at children's cards in WHSmith I felt I should change my colours and make them brighter although it's not 100% my taste. I do want to get work though and am willing to compromise a bit with my work.

The second version I've done is in my painterly style and I did this one first, so wasn't originally planning to have a lion in the illustration. I do prefer this version and can add the lion to it but my main dilemma is whether or not it is bright enough and the right style for a children's card. Hmmmm. I think a parent would probably buy the first one. Any feedback would be great as I'm feeling stuck.





7 comments:

natural attrill said...

Hi pea,
I prefer the 2nd one two but the 1st is probably more commercial!
(sorry, that's not helpful at all!)

The necklace on my blog took about a day or so's work.

THANKS 4 THE BUTTONS ASWELL!!!!!!!!
i will put a post with them on the blog soon.
Toby.

Anonymous said...

I like them both for diff reasons. The bright one would appeal to children, but the paler one would appeal to adults, and adults would buy them (but they are for children) ok I see your dilema!!
But they are both lovely, your very talented.

Unknown said...

I like both versions but I think the 1st is more eyecatching. The second good for kids books??
lovely work!!

Pea said...

Thanks everyone! Yes, I've decided to go with the first one and am going to do a few more in this style.

Navel Gazer said...

Hi,

I used to work with the people in the buying departments in WHS head office and I think for them version one is probably their bag. But, Paperchase and places like Waterstones would probably go for version two.

They all buy from card companies rather than designers (although WHS was looking at their own brand cards when I left) so I would actually go to a card company. Choose one who has a similar style to the one your prefer and go for it.

Also, WHS was looking at (not sure if they still are) own brand books, so you may be able to ineterest them in you illustrations for their own book range.

Go for it, you have nothing to lose.

Pea said...

Thanks Min, that's lovely of you to share that advice!

Unknown said...

Hi Pea, thanks for visiting earlier! I wouldn't worry too much about being commercial though... I think the 2nd one is more childrens' bookish and the 1st more greeting cards/advertising. Although paperchase likes 'different' styles too, so maybe find a balance between them 2?