Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Sally Go Round the Sun





Sally Go Round the Sun is a children's rhyme book I found in Oxfam. It is illustrated by a Venetian man called Carlos Marchiori and the book was printed in 1969.
The illustrations are so cool and I've been meaning to put them on my blog for ages. All the illustrations look like prints (not sure exactly how they were done) and there are quite a few thumb prints that the illustrator has used in his work. The heads of the clowns at the circus with the elephant above them are all made of thumb prints. Most of the illustrations use a maximum of 3 colours which is something I really like and would love to be able to do myself.
The book itself has lots of rhymes and songs in it, a lot of which would probably not be allowed to be published today! Many of the rhymes are really silly or weird or mean...I can't see any of these being published now!
Fatty, Fatty, two by four,
Couldn't get through the bathroom door!

Peter and Paul and Pinch Me
Went down to the beach to bathe.
Peter and Paul were drowned,
And who do you think was saved?
- Pinch me.

Ice cream and jelly
And a punch in the belly.

Open your mouth and shut your eyes
And I'll give you something to make you wise.


4 comments:

natural attrill said...

Oh these are absolutely gorgeous Lucy, I love them, especially the use of pattern and the colours too.Penny.

Unknown said...

very un pc and I'm loving it!! :0)
Fab illustrations. A great find at your oxfam Pea!!
cheers for your lovely comment on my blog too :0))

Deb said...

this book is one of them star finds! the colour is amazing. i think they may be screen prints or woodcuts? i aint too sure-maybe some internet searches may find some answers?
dx

Unknown said...

Oh what a find! These are so cool, I am totally drooling.

"Fatty Fatty two by four, can't through the dressing room door..." That was used in Hairspray, the John Waters film with Ricki Lake and Deborah Harry in. It was a ad slogan in the film for a plus size dress shop.

When we were kids we used to say that all the time and now I know where it must have been nicked from. Or maybe its just a coincidence. Ah.