Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I've made a dress!

Hello. Yesterday afternoon I spent about 4 hours making a dress. I've never made any clothes before so am quite impressed. Most of the 4 hours was spent deciding how I was going to do it and being scared to start cutting the fabric in case it all went wrong. The actual sewing part didn't take too long.
I started with this black top/dress which I found in Primark reduced from £8 to £3. I chose a cheap top because I was only going to chop it up.

Not a great photo but you get the idea. So then I tried the dress on and decided where to cut it. That was the scary part..I cut slowly in a straightish line. I then attatched my deer fabric to make the rest of the dress. I've done it very basically- no pleats or anything- but I'm really pleased with it. The top is a stretchy, jersey fabric and the deer material was a cotton so I had to be careful when sewing them together to make sure I didn't pull the top out of shape.
Here is the finished article:

In total it cost me £15 and I know you could buy a dress for that price these days but it was so satisfying making it myself. Also, nobody else will have one! It's not perfect (I wouldn't like to show you the stitching inside) but I'm pleased with it.




5 comments:

natural attrill said...

WOW ! looks fabulous!!
Penny.
x

Unknown said...

That is awesome!! I have always wanted to try making my own clothes too. That's such a great dress!

Deb said...

wicked! i think it is great that you have made your own dress. you will get addicted to fabric and sewing in now time! be prepared to make space for it all. dx

Deb said...

Well done for jumping in there and creating your own fab dress! it look great. beware though as fabric is very addictive! dx
ps. thanks for the duttons for buttons message-i have been wanting to go there for over a year-maybe one day i will! dx

Alyssa Thomas said...

really neat. I've always wanted to cut up a couple of my things to make something fun and cute but I've always been too scared. I'm glad to see it all went well for you.