Monday, March 19, 2007

My new studio

Well, not quite but it feels like it! On Friday I went to Ikea with my dad and bought this desk. A simple thing, I know, but when you've been using the dining table as a desk for the last 2 years it seems special. Now I can leave all my drawings out instead of having to clear everything away every time we want to eat. I've moved my orchid in and my kokeshi dolls now have a new home on the window sill. I also have an oil burner so I can burn some oils to relax me if I'm stressed about a deadline.

Here are the before and after photos.

On the walls are all my Guardian wallcharts, useful for reference but also just nice because I love animals. Facing my desk and mac are two dog wallcharts. On the wall you can't see I have pigs and goats, cats and horses and ponies. Just need to get a commission that involves animals now!

I can't believe a few posters and a new desk has given my studio such a different feel. I should have done it years ago. It feels so much better and I can't wait to start working in here. I've always thought living in a rented flat has been frustrating because I can't put up shelves or paint the walls or create my ideal home. However, these simple changes to this room have given me inspiration for things I can do in other rooms which aren't necessarily permanent but DO make a difference.

On my desk is a photo of my Grandma who died recently. It was taken at the seaside in the '50s and she is with my Grandad, dad and uncle. I love this photo and think it looks like a scene from a film because they're not looking at the camera and it's really intruiging wondering what or who they were looking at. My Grandma looks so elegant and beautiful. We were really close and I am missing her very much so having this photo on my desk means a lot to me.

7 comments:

natural attrill said...

Wow, you are SO tidy!
Glad to hear you have made yourself a good space to work in now, it makes all the difference, not having to put everything away every time you finish work.
Your Grandma does look lovely.
Penny.

Pea said...

Ha ha! I'm not tidy at all! There was 3 months of mess- books, paper, carrier bags and stuff all over the floor which took me about 3 hours to tidy away! I didn't take a photo of that though. I like to give the impression of being neat and tidy but it's hard to keep up. Also, I've not started work yet- it will be messy then ;-)

Anonymous said...

Your break away looked lovely, and what a nice start to working again, a new clean space :)

Unknown said...

Hello Pea!
Thanks for visiting my blog. You know, I have those same Guardian posters and very useful they are too! Your new studio space looks luverly! I'm so jealous!

I know what you mean about rented accommodation, I've the same problem.grrr.

I shall put a link to your blog on mine. I'll pop over from time to time to see what creations emerge from your fab new space.

The fabric of my life said...

Your studio is lovely, so neat and tidy and very restful looking. It should be easier to create in such a lovely space.

Your grandma looks gorgeous, what a wonderful photo.

Your trip to the dales looked great, fantastic photos.

Deb said...

i am so jealous of your new tidy working space. it looks fab and so cosy-i am sure abit of mess will be created from time to time! i try to keep as tidy as possible but it never works.
the family photograph is very beautiful. your grandma and grandad look lovely.

Gretel said...

I'm glad you're back. And glad that your revamped studio has worked out so well, I am in the middle of complete carnage, changing over mine, does this mean there is light at the end of the tunnel?