Monday, November 06, 2006

One of those days




I should've known today wasn't going to go well when I only managed 26 lengths at the pool this morning- usually I do 40!
I knew what I wanted to do today- re-working my babies illustration to add more depth and a stronger line- but it just didn't go according to plan. I spent forever trying to work out how to get a wobbly, hand-drawn line in Illustrator. The line I have used is not as bold as I'd like and looks a bit chalky. So I spent ages messing about with brushes and tried to create some of my own. Not as easy as it sounds! I posted a question on the AOI discussion board and, after a lot of help from a nice illustrator known as Frog, at 5:30pm I had finally worked out what to do...Very frustrating but I got there in the end. So this is all I've got to show for today. The line round the baby's face and the grey line round the pan are done in my new hand-drawn, bolder line and the rest is in the older, chalkier line. I've created several new brushes so that the lines don't all look exactly the same and hopefully it won't look too digital. I'm adding shadows and toning the cheeks down too. I'm quite pleased with my work so far(!)
I hope tomorrow is better.
It's the Leeds International Film Festival this week and I'm off to see about 5 films. I rarely go to the cinema all year and then go crazy and see as many as possible in 10 days! I'm looking forward to it but I'll probably have square eyes!

5 comments:

natural attrill said...

Hello!
I like your baby illo. Do you do all your work digitally?
Penny.

Pea said...

Hi there!

Yes, apart from the fabric collage on my website all my work is digital. I've taught myself Illustrator which is what I use for this style. This baby is part of a bigger illust which I am re-doing at the mo.

natural attrill said...

I keep thinking that i must teach myself, though it doesnt appeal really. I was thinking about Corel Painter, have you tried it?

I have just finished a batch of illustrations for Disney, Eeyores, all painted by hand, but they told me that they are using digital artists more and more as it is cheaper for them. So, I think I should look into it.

I see you are in Leeds, not far away! I live in Todmorden.

Penny.

Pea said...

No idea about Corel Painter but I know exactly how you feel. A few years ago I only worked in fabric collage and my agent at the time said "develop a painted style too". I felt lost and didn't know where to start. When I got my mac it took me ages to get into working digitally and it is hard- especially if you don't really want to do it. Now, though, I love working digitally as it's so flexible and easy to alter your work. Ironically I'm trying to make it look more hand drawn at the moment!

Gretel said...

Good to hear Frog is still being helpful, he is a mine of knowledge!