Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Follow your dreams

After four and a half years of trying to make it as an illustrator I finally feel that I'm getting there. To anyone else who is struggling to get work- keep going, you will get there!
Over the years I've had many part time jobs including a horrible one at a call centre. I found it hard to fully concentrate on my goal to illustrate full time.
I had a few commissions here and there but not very often. I got down because I didn't like the part time job and thought I wouldn't ever get any work. Family and friends suggested I look for a job that was art-related (their way of gently saying maybe I should give up!) I felt angry that they couldn't understand that the ONLY thing I wanted to do was be a children's illustrator. No other job would satisfy me or make me happy.
At the end of March this year I was lucky to be able to give up my call centre job and try to get work full time. My good friend Mike sorted my website out for me and I set about promoting myself like crazy. I got a few jobs but it hasn't been until this month that I've had several commissions through and am starting to feel more secure and positive about the future.
In the past I've wanted to give up so many times and thought it was all so pointless. It's been a struggle. I've developed several styles, taken a lot of criticism and had so many commissions lined up that fell through at the last minute. So often it would've been easier to give up. I'm so glad I didn't.
To anybody in this position- KEEP GOING! I know it's easy for other people to say but if you stick at it and do everything you possibly can then you will succeed. Good luck!

2 comments:

natural attrill said...

I agree, keep going! I have been illustrating fulltime for more than 20 years and it is great to be able to sit and create all day and get paid for it.
Promotion is really important, always do that when you are busy with work, dont wait till you have 'time', ie no work.
Good luck.
Penny.

Joanna said...

Tenacity is what our tutor used to say.