Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Breaking news!

Please excuse this crazy photo of me because...I'VE GOT A JOB!
**Woo hoo! Yippee!**
Yes, I'm very happy! I'm not one to boast but in this case I feel I must tell you about my amazing good fortune. I applied for two different
greetings card designer jobs in the hope that I might get an interview for one of them and then, hopefully, I might get one of the jobs. I kept this all hush-hush so that I didn't have loads of people asking me how it had gone in case I didn't get interviews for either.
Well, I got an interview for the first company and was told that about 100 people had applied and they were only interviewing 3 (including me!) This interview went really well and I went back for a second. This also went well. While I was waiting to hear the outcome of these interviews, the second company asked me to go for an interview too! I wasn't expecting that. I went along and had a good interview where I was told they'd had 70 applicants and were interviewing 15. So, though I thought I'd done ok I knew there was a less than 10% chance of getting the job.
The next day they rang me to offer me the job! I was flabbergasted. I really did not expect it. The two women who interviewed me said the minute I left the building they said to eachother "she's the one"! I was stunned.
Then the first company rang and also offered me the job!
After a few days of serious contemplation I decided to accept the position as junior studio designer at the second company, which is Carlton Cards. I will be designing Christmas cards and will still be illustrating sometimes! I feel very happy and lucky but, as James keeps reminding me, they are lucky to have me and it's because of my talent and years of illustration experience that I've been hired, not just luck. I hope this doesn't sound arrogant!
I was totally prepared to give up illustrating and thought I would just be doing the design side of things, so to hear that I'll be still be able to create illustrations is brilliant news. I'll even have my own wacom tablet!
Boast now over. Thanks for all your lovely comments on my previous post.x

5 comments:

Monkee Maker said...

Wow, that's great! Really good news and even better that both companies wanted you! Well done that Junior Studio Designer!! (must remember to get some Carlton cards this xmas)

And if only I knew what a wacom tablet was, I'd be even happier for you!!

the vicious chicken said...

Hi Pea, I only discovered your blog recently, but just wanted to say congratulations on what sounds like an amazing job for you! I hope it turns out to be everything you want and more.
VC x

natural attrill said...

Thats an absolutely fab photo of you!
Hope you enjoy the new job.
P.x

Deb said...

this is fantastic news pea! woohoo! well done and big congratulations. great photo of you jumping for joy. i wish you all the best in your new job. dx.

Emm@ said...

That is such great news. I'm so happy for you. Good luck!!